Friday, August 27, 2010

The Office Coffee

You can tell a lot about a work place by the coffee in the break/work room.

Sometimes it is the instant variety you mix with hot water (seriously?!). Sometimes it is made from grounds that have been sitting in a plastic jug for months (why?!). Sometimes it is fresh ground and so aromatic you can smell it from down the hall (yes!!).

Then there is the method of delivery: Sometimes its a small, stained pot that has been around since the Hoover Administration. Other times its a tall slender warming carafe that sucks the flavor out as it reheats the liquid every half hour. But if your lucky you can have one of those machines that makes one, individual cup, just for YOU.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the eye opening revelations you can have by examining the coffee cups of the employees (that is a separate post all of its own!).

But you really CAN tell a lot about the value people place on life by the value they place on their coffee. Now, I understand that not everyone is a coffee drinker (and I forgive you for that) but I am talking to those of us that understand the value of a really good cup of coffee. Those of us that that need some additional help to get through the day, in the form of warm, flavorful, aromatic joy that fills our cups with love (ok, that's a little dramatic, but now you can understand the passion with which I enjoy my coffee).

So I am in this transitional place in my life, and I am thinking about the place I am leaving and wondering about the place I am going. Because the world can be an overwhelming place I try and make sense of it in ways that comfort me, like through my coffee. So here are some things I learned about my last "office" based on the coffee they served there:

* They Value Individuality - They have a one cup coffee maker. I did not have to share the same pot with 10 other people.

* They Value Originality - I had my own box of single cup packets, of MY favorite flavor, to keep in my office. I did not have to compromise and suffer through my coworkers favorite flavor, which by the way was way too weak for my taste, and in turn they did not have to deal with my nutty delight.

* They Value Creativity - There was an entire shelf above the coffee maker that was filled with every type of coffee enhancer you could think of. Many different varieties of creamer, which would change seasonally. Sweeteners in all different shapes and sizes, depending on if your a purist or an artificial type.

* They Value Beauty - The disposable cups available would change constantly. The patterns were always different and they were well insulated (which is a thing of beauty, to not have your hand burned as you enjoy your warm tastiness).

* They Value People - By making all of this available they showed how much they care for each employee. They put thought and effort into creating an environment where each person can thrive and have the resources they need in order to work effectively.


What does your work environment say to you? How do YOU contribute to the Individuality, the Originality, the Beauty, the People Pleasing atmosphere of the world you work in?

Coffee, really good coffee, can change a persons day. An attitude can also change a persons day. Think about the attitude you bring to the people around you. You can be a warm, soothing cup of coffee or you can be a lukewarm, tasteless cup 'o joe. It is all in what YOU value and what YOU bring to the table. Make sure your cup is beautiful and filled with aromatic life. Be intentional about sharing it with others. Be considerate that someone might want a different flavor than you and be willing to dump out the cup and start fresh, if that's what is needed.

Make it a GREAT day! Share your richness with others and see how their worlds are affected. And I'm guessing yours will be enhanced as well.

Until We Meet Again,
Drea

No comments:

Post a Comment