Wednesday, August 25, 2010

YOU are the Light of the World

Yesterday I was enjoying a book "Reading Jesus" by Mary Gordon when I came across this scripture passage:

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill can not be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:14-16

This time the passage struck me in a different way than it has in the past. Typically I have taken its "advice" in a more passive tone. Light is such a common thing, like air and water, that I have easily made the justification to simplify what is being said here. But this time I heard it! I heard the immediate, and very active call, to LIVE OUT these verses.

"YOU are the Light of the World."
Light is an essential part of life. To scientists it is a key component to growth; for plants, animals and humans. To Christian we call Jesus 'The Truth, the Way, and the LIGHT.' So clearly we all agree on the importance and significance of light. And then here in this passage we are told, you and me, that WE are the Light of the World! We have an essential role to play in the growth of life.

Jesus goes on to say that we should not try and hide our ability to make a significant impact on our world. You can not hide a city or a lamp, and you should not try to. It is not wise to waste your energy on such foolish ventures. Instead we need to embrace the purpose of the lamp, the light it gives to others.

"...it gives LIGHT to everyone in the house."
In this verse Jesus is saying that as the Light of the World we all have a responsibility to share ourselves with others. For many of us, we have a family, a group of people that live in the same house with us. We share time and space with other people that either receive a benefit or a detriment from spending time with us.

A lamp is a useful thing. WE are called to be useful to others. We are CALLED to share our light with others. We are called TO BE mindful of our impact on others. As we move in and out of our houses, as we live life with the people around us, we are reminded that we give off energy, light, that spills out onto others. It covers them. Are we giving off the kind of light that Jesus would?

"...let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
We are called to do good deeds. Not to earn our way into heaven, not to prove that we are worthy, but rather as a response to the Light Jesus has given to us. And in turn we do not do good works in order to receive praise from others, or from Christ, but rather to bring praise to our Father in heaven. All things are from Him, all things return to Him.

We did not ignite our own light. We are not the source. We can not take credit for its power or significance. We are merely the lamp, the vessel of delivery. Sure, we play a vital role but it is not a solo role, we do not stand alone in our action of bringing light to the world. We are useful and significant because of the power Christ Jesus gives us. Through the Light He shares with us we are able to share that same Light with others.

So, I ask you...How are YOU going to be the Light of the World to someone today? How are you going to make an impact on another life today? How are you going to bring Glory to God through your deeds today?

I am taking my son to his 1st grade visitation at school today. He is nervous. I am going to be his light by walking side by side with him into the school, talking with him as he meets his new teacher, helping him put his supplies in his desk, and taking him out for ice cream after he has taken this big step in maturity.

I am the Light of the World. I am an essential part of the life that grows in my house. I make a significant impact on the people that share life with me. My light does not always have to be the blinding, spotlight style of light. Sometimes it needs to be the small and comforting nightlight style of light.

My prayer for each of you today is that you may know your value, your place, your impact in the world around you. I pray that you discover your inner light and that you are able to let it shine for others. I pray that through your actions you bring Glory to God and that the people around you come to know more about Christ's saving Grace through the illumination you bring to their lives.

Until We Meet Again,
Drea

2 comments:

  1. I started reading your post as soon as the coffee finished brewing. Your thoughts are right in line with some other things I've read/watched lately. I love how God sends the same message through several different sources until a person actually GETS the message. Thanks for sharing this. I love the line, "We did not ignite our own light. We are not the source." Have a blessed day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started reading your blog as a kind of devotional quiet time. I love how you can put these thoughts and ideas into words that speak to ME.
    I pray that God uses my light to shine through Mary Kay and help me change and better other families lives through this amazing, Godly company. Also not in the spotlight style of lighting, but in a warm, comforting, safe-place-to-grow light.
    Thank you Drea

    ReplyDelete