Monday, November 1, 2010

The Pleasure of Pressing PAUSE

I have always enjoyed the "PAUSE" button on my remote. As a control freak I love the power it gives me to stop the action, walk away and do what I want to do, and then return to the exact point I stopped and pick up the story when I am ready.

This past weekend I exercised my right to press the "PAUSE" button on my life. I have to say, the pleasure was the same! The kids and I were off of school on Thursday and Friday so we had a four day weekend! On Wednesday afternoon we all went into "vaca-mode." Everyone slept in on Thursday morning and by mid-day my sister-in-law had picked up all three kids for a sleepover. John and I started a long overdue deep discussion and then ended up going out for a late-night date-night.

Friday morning was another "catch-up on sleep" session then lunch with one of my best friends! The kids were home by 6 pm but Evan and I ditched the girls in favor of a B-day party for one of his best friends. The party was at the home of one of my best, best friends so of course I "had" to stay and help her test a bottle of wine while the kids played.

Saturday morning, more sleeping in, by now we were starting to get used to it. Saturday was an official jammie day but Em and I did venture out to do grocery shopping, 4 days home will put a huge dent in your reserves! By Saturday night we were ready for some fun! All five of us went to a costume party and had a blast. Evan even won a ribbon for Most Original Costume. He was a vampire with his own set of fangs (he has lost his two front teeth on top and two bottom teeth on either side of his front ones - he either had to be a vampire or a jack-o-lantern and "j-o-ls are too babyish mom.").

Sunday morning was a bit of a return to a normal schedule. We had church and I was scheduled to do Worship and Bree was doing tech in Carbon, our 4th and 5th grade ministry. After that we dropped Bree off at a friend's house for a party and the rest of us went to my in-laws for the the Packer game and to watch the race. Emily and Evan were antsy all afternoon, waiting "for-ev-er" to go trick-or-treating. Finally time came for John and I to walk them around for one of the most bizarre but sweet holiday traditions we have in this country.

We all arrived back home by 8:30 pm. Emily and Evan spread out their candy and made the all important trades. Bree had already done that with her friends so she began to pack for her Mackenzie Nature Center overnight fieldtrip (she goes to school this morning and I won't see her again until tomorrow afternoon). And by 9 pm the pause button was pressed again and we were back in full-speed of life mode once more.

As I sit here this morning with the comforting scent of Highlander Grogg filling my kitchen I am ready to jump into life again. It was a pleasure and a joy to slow down, take a break, and enjoy the simple things in life when I pressed "pause" on my world for just a little while. We all need to remember to move back and breath before we get ready to move ahead. November and December promise to be just as busy, if not more so, than September and October so I am thankful that God offered me a little respite in the journey.

So..... Are you in need of a "PAUSE" button moment? How can you find a way to take a break from your busy life? Who do you need to pause with? Are you just in need of a quick "time-out" or do you need an extended "caution flag?" Be prepared and plan ahead so you can maximize your minimized schedule. The pleasure you will experience from pressing "PAUSE" will out-weigh any frustrations you may have to deal with when you return to full-speed. Trust me! A refreshed you is far more capable of handling life than a worn-out, worn-down you. Start planning now for your "PAUSE" moment in the VERY near future.

My prayer for today is that we are all able to recognize when we NEED to press the "PAUSE" button on our life. I pray that we take time for ourselves and time to be alone with God. I pray that we allow Him to do a work in us and heal us from the inside out. I pray that we take time and make time to be with the special people in our lives. I pray that we remember what is truly important and allow the things of this world to melt away.

Until We Meet Again,

Drea

1 comment:

  1. P.S. - If you are someone that was waiting for me to do something or return a call this weekend, THANKS for your patience. A refreshed and renewed me is ready to get back to the business of life and YOU are on my list ;-)

    ReplyDelete