Friday, October 15, 2010

Excuse Me, But I Think I Live Here?

I have not been home very much this week. Thankfully my van knows the way and can just go into autopilot mode. The trouble is it never stays in the driveway for very long. I am not complaining, just lamenting the fact that fact that after posting my reflective blog on Monday about spending time "with" my family instead of "for" my family, it seems I have been doing more of the later verses the former this week.

Almost everything I have done this week has been "for" my family, and some of it has been "with," but the "with" parts have been small and have mostly included driving one of my children from place to place, activity to activity. We are spending a little time "with" each other in the van but it is difficult to get into deep conversations in the five minutes it takes to drive across town. I have actually found myself wishing for red lights when my teenager and I are alone (and I do NOT like to have to wait for red lights)! But I need to find a way to make more time to be "with" her or I need to get better at going deeper in the small amounts of time we do actually have together.

And then on top of all of that, I miss being home. Not so much my house, but the comfort and rejuvenation I find from my home; snuggling with the kids on the couch, eating dinner together (at a table even), putting on my cozy jammies and reading a good book, heck, I would even like to help my kids with their homework. I am an extrovert that has deeply introverted needs. I am able to give the best of myself when my own tank has been filled. I need to refresh and renew every so often in order to keep going. I am feeling my tank dip into the low levels and I think my gas light is about to turn on.

So..... I am looking for help, advice, suggestions... What creative ways do YOU have for refilling your tank? How do you keep your perspective and energy when times are busy or tough? What is your favorite "small moment" activity to keep your head on straight? Does time with friends help? Do you have a favorite inspirational book? Have you found a new, yummy, coffee flavor? How about a great crock-pot recipe (even I have a hard time screwing those up)? What is your favorite Bible story of God refreshing someone who really needed it?

And Now Here Is The Exciting Part: We are going to have a Comment Contest!!! Post your ideas, advice and suggestions here all next week. Then next Friday, Oct 22, I will award one lucky person a gift certificate to their favorite local coffee house!!! Buying you a few warm cups of soothing comfort is the best way I can think of to Thank You for sharing your ideas, advice and suggestions. If you are interested in finding out what everyone else has to offer when they comment, go ahead and subscribe to the blog. That way you can receive an email when there are updates.

My prayer for today is that we are all able to find an inner peace. I pray that we are able to slow down and hit the "refresh" button on our lives. I pray that we are able to refill our tanks before they run dry. I pray that I am able to spend some time at home, in my jammies, reading a good book while sipping a big cup of coffee at some point this weekend. I pray that you find your way into God's Word to find the peace and comfort only He can provide, I know I will.

Until We Meet Again,

Drea

5 comments:

  1. Hey Drea,
    I finally took some time to read your blog! It's cute, fun, and even funny. You really want to know what I do? Well, I admit the problem in a way that holds me accountable for fixing it. When I notice things have taken a detour, I just walk in, hug each of my kids and say, "I miss you. Let's have a date." A couple of dates later, I am much less concerned about the long do "for" list and more likely to focus on the do "with" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A favorite from Facebook:
    i love the title of this! i have a few things i do when i am running low option 1: extra long hot shower with locked bathroom door, like to pray in the shower 2. a big cup of hot tea 3. out with a girlfriend and for crazy days at home 4. curl up in little ball on the floor and beg God to help me be nice to my children and be patient on days they are making me crazy.
    Katie A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to go sit in the sun...no phone, no tv ..just me & the sun and GOD !! Sometimes Ill even lay on the floor in a patch of sun like my cats

    Stephany G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the post....and love this comment by Katie: I'm not alone! Ha.
    "4. curl up in little ball on the floor and beg God to help me be nice to my children and be patient on days they are making me crazy."

    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it is easier, you can post a comment on FaceBook, like Katie, Sephany, and Sarah did and then I can copy it over to the blog. Or you can subscribe to the blog and then be able to leave comments with ease ;-)

    ReplyDelete