Monday, October 11, 2010

Making Time

This weekend I decided that doing something WITH my family was more important than doing something FOR my family. I am classic at creating excuses that justify why I do things for my family, but not always with them, like: "It saves me time and money to do the grocery shopping on my own." While there is a lot of truth in that statement I also realize that the only way my children will learn to be savvy shoppers is to have experience making wise choices in the store.

And is as typically the case with me, "a little learning is good so more must be better..." I decided to include my family in all the shopping that had to be done on Saturday. One significant reason why I made this decision was that my hubby was willing to go along. He typically feels nauseated at the idea of shopping, much less a family trip to the store, but I think the combination of the beautiful weather and seeing his family all decked out in their Badger apparel made for a proud Dad that was willing to spend time with his family, no matter what. I of course had to jump on the chance. From the moment I suggested the shopping trip to the time we were out the door was less than four minutes, no time for him to change his mind.

Once we were on the road I revealed all the stops listed on my 'to-do list' for the day. Out of the corner of my eye I could see my husband reaching for the door handle and considering a tuck and roll move out of the vehicle, but when I turned to him he gave me a full smile and said "ok."

First was Kohl's, my husband and I had an anniversary gift to spend and new flannel sheets were calling my name. 45 minutes later we walked out with king size flannel sheet, a new Contour Memory Foam pillow for me, and some talking ninja toy animal for Evan (he had birthday $ burning a hole in his pocket), all for under $55. We saved $93 off the original prices because of the early bird specials, a $10 coupon I had, and John's discount. NICE!

Next we were on to Aldi's. I love taking the kids shopping there, usually I do it one-on-one so that we can really discuss wise shopping practices (looking at unit price, items that are good to buy in bulk, which foods are worth the "brand name" price and which ones are not), but on Saturday I was hoping that John and I could run a two-on-three zone defense. The kids did great, John on the other hand was hungry. Thankfully practice and wisdom were my guides and we were out of the store in 20 minutes and for less than $45. Nice #2!

Our final stop was Target. I knew I was taking a risk, that store has magical powers! Too many times I have gone in with a three to four item list and ended up walking out with a $100 less in my bank account. Thankfully one thing God has been working on in my heart is the way I spend money. I have an unhealthy relationship with money and usually feel the desire to spend more than I should (I am good at creating excuses to justify that too), but lately I am learning the joy of the bargain, the thrill of saving money when I go to the store. Now that I am saving money to go back to school (I decided to wait until the winter semester, too much going on with the kids right now and a desire to find alternative and creative funding sources), I am discovering new ways to stretch a dollar. My grandma would be so proud.

I was determined to only purchase the four items on my list for Target. I stacked the deck in my favor, only John and Evan came in the store with me. I told the girls there would be no "extra" shopping so they decided to wait in the van. Evan had already purchased his toy at Kohl's and he had one job, and one job only, at Target: find the perfect 1 year old birthday card. John was focused on keeping me on track and on budget. I am proud to say that we were in and out in 15 minutes and only purchased the items on the list. Of course John takes all the credit. It was a Hat-Trick of N-i-c-e!

On our way home I was thinking about how the morning took a lot longer than it would have had I gone out to run my errands on my own but I was happy and thankful , on several counts, that I had taken everyone with me. First, I was able to just spend time with them, we are constantly running here and there for some activity or another, it was nice to make time to be with each other. Second, it was a great time for John and I to teach into our children about wise financial choices and how saving $$ does not need to mean you sacrifice quality. Finally I was able to demonstrate to my kids that even adults are able to learn from past mistakes (spending too much) and choose to make wise choices (sticking to a realistic list). And all of this took place because I was willing to slow down and take the time to make time for them. A simple act that lead to meaningful shared experiences.

So..... What are the simple acts that you need to slow down and make the time for? What events are you rushing through or blowing past in an effort to make life easier but not as meaningful? What areas of your life could you take the time to teach something into someone else? What lessons are YOU missing and what is God trying to teach YOU?

My prayer for today is that we are all able to slow down and make the time to hear from our Heavenly Father. I pray that we are willing to make time for our earthly family as well. I pray that we are constantly reminded that it is far more important to "be with" than to "do for" our family and friends, any day. I pray that through our shared experiences we are transformed into the people God designed us to be. I pray that when we make time for others, we are in turn filled with the Holy Spirit and energized to repeat, and repeat, and repeat.

Until We Meet Again,

Drea

No comments:

Post a Comment