Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Unlikely

One of my favorite experiences each week is having the opportunity to Fuel Relationships with God and Others on Wednesday nights at our church's student ministry events. I really look forward to growing in my faith and building lasting friendships with the students and other adult volunteers. I am fortunate enough to be on the Delta/Engage teaching team and I can not tell you how many times God has done a work in me through a message I have been preparing to share with the students. Our current series is no exception.

Tonight we will be wrapping up the three weeks of "Learn It" for the Unlikely series. We have been talking about how God calls Unlikely People, from Unlikely Places, to make Unlikely Responses. As I was working on my message the other day I really got to thinking about what this means in my life. Sometimes it is all too easy for me to think about how things might be meaningful for other people but I miss what God is wanting to have happen inside of ME. But this time I am conscious of what this idea of being an unlikely person, from and unlikely place, called to make an unlikely response means in MY life.

Looking back on my life, I would have to say that I am a pretty Unlikely Person to be sharing the message of God with a bunch of students. When I was in middle and high school I walked, no I ran, away from anything that had to do with God. I had been raised in a religious home and had attended Catholic school, but rebelled, hard, during my teen years. Anyone that knew me then would roll on the floor laughing now if they heard I was active in a church much less sharing the Good News of God's love with a bunch of people.

But thankfully God knows what He is doing and He had a plan for taking my rebellion and using it for the glory of His Kingdom. I am an unlikely person, but I just might be the right unlikely person to reach someone that no one else can.

And talk about Unlikely Places...living so close to Madison; the liberal, Freedom From Religion, do what feels good to you, party hard city, is not the easiest of soil to prepare for the seed of God's Word. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot rockier places to live, life is actually pretty darn good around here. But sometimes I wonder, is life too good, are things too easy, have we grown too complacent? What elements of change does God desire to have take hold around here?

Then there is the Unlikely Response that God asks us to give. I would like to stay safe and warm inside my comfortable little bubble. I do not really look to rock the boat, or make waves, or stir up trouble; but sometimes God calls me to take a stand, make a response that is outside of my comfort zone. God knows that by bursting my bubble I am free to breath the fresh air of hope and promise that only He can offer.

So..... How are YOU an Unlikely Person, from an Unlikely Place, called to make an Unlikely Response for the Glory of God? Maybe you are the right person to reach a coworker who has questions about God. Maybe you are living in the right place to connect with a tough neighbor that just needs a warm smile or a helping hand to melt their heart. Maybe you are being called to respond to someone in need that you might otherwise walk past without a second glance.

God does not call the perfect, the prepared, or the proud. He quietly taps the shoulders of those who are willing, available, and humble. He looks for an open heart and an open mind. For those that are seeking, He offers open arms where we can run and find comfort. He offers open invitations that we are free to accept. God is looking to YOU, a part of His plan rests on YOU, to be the The Right Person, from The Right Place, for The Right Response that will change the game for one life. Are you ready?!?!

My prayer for today is that we will each feel the love of God pour over us and fill us in such ways that we can not help but to share it with others. I pray that you will know, without a shadow of a doubt, that YOU, yes YOU, are the right unlikely person, from the right unlikely place, to make the right unlikely response that will make a difference in the life of another person. I pray that you realize that over and over again. I pray that your life and the lives of so many around you will be forever changed by the love of Jesus Christ.

Until We Meet Again,

Drea

2 comments:

  1. Hi! First time here and truly enjoyed your blog.

    It is a inspiring question: "How are YOU an Unlikely Person, from an Unlikely Place, called to make an Unlikely Response for the Glory of God?"

    When you have a moment please stop by for some Coffee with Jesus

    ~ NRIGirl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drea! Truly well said. Are we available? Are we humble? It really comes down to those questions and trusting that, if we are, God will jump for joy and use us for mighty things. I believe I am at a place in my life where I am mostly available to God, and that is a wonderful place to be!

    Jay

    ReplyDelete