Wednesday, September 8, 2010

1 Peter, Chapter 1 (NIV)

Are you ready?

Do you have your coffee and your Bible in front of you?

For the purpose of this study I am choosing to use the NIV or New International Version translation.

I am reading from BibleGateway.com, which I encourage you to check out. They offer many different translations and some great search tools. I also read the NLT and Message versions of this chapter this morning. It is always amazing how each translation brings deeper insight and meaning because of the words used to translate the original manuscripts.

I suggest that you read the chapter first and then read further on here. If you are using your computer for your Bible reading as well, you can have two tabs open, one for BibleGateway and one for the blog. That way you can switch back and forth between the two.

Ok, here we go... 1 Peter, chapter 1...

The first to verses set me at ease right a way. I know that this book is written for me, I totally feel like a stranger in this world sometimes. And it might as well say 'scattered throughout Sun Prairie, Marshall, Madison, Columbus, DeForest, Northern WI, Illinois, Colorado, Alaska' (he is speaking to US too).

"Grace and peace be yours in abundance." What a wonderful blessing! I could not hope to start my day with a more heartfelt gift.

In verses 3 - 9, Peter is reminding us of Who has laid this life before us and why He has chosen to do so. He is acknowledging our part in the story because of our FAITH to believe in things we have not personally witnessed. And he is reminding us that this life is not one of ease and comfort but of struggles, brought on by our faith and used to prove our faith. I know I can get grouchy when things do not go my way, are not easy, but this is reminding us that when we follow God's plan for our lives, He will build our faith through our struggles. Through the power of the Holy Spirit these trials will prove beneficial.

And verse 9 blows me away!!! "for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls." We are a goal oriented people, and we love to reach our goals. I am so excited to know that even through the challenges and rough roads, I am making progress. I am receiving the goal of my faith, not just something earned but something given freely, like a gift. And what better gift than the salvation of my soul!

Verses 10 - 12 go on to say that not only you or me or the original readers of this letter are wondering about this salvation but even the prophets (really, really smart and Heaven sent guys) and the angels (the very army of God) wonder about it too. We are in good company here. We should not feel discouraged that we do not fully understand it, yet. We should actually feel encouraged that we are on the right path and following in wonderful footsteps.

Living a Holy Life, verses 13 - 25 speak to this, the how and the why this is so important. The HOW: "prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed." It couldn't be any clearer. I love it when God makes things clear for me.

And then we receive the good news that we do not have to "be holy" all on our own. We are holy because God is holy. Like a parent that teaches their child how to acquire a new skill, God is showing us how to be holy, through His holiness. We don't have to guess or go it a lone, He is with us, modeling it for us all the way.

And like I was talking about yesterday, because you are now accepting of your worth and holiness in and through Christ, you are able to fully love others as your brothers and sisters. "For you have been born again... through the living... word of God. For the word of the Lord stands forever." In that, you do not need to worry, He will be with you always, through His Word and through the power of the Holy Spirit, who gives us the insight into His Word.

WOW!!! Who knew 25 little verses could rock our socks in such a way. Now I can see why we were issued the challenge to dig deeper into this book. This first chapter alone if full of some comforting and encouraging stuff. I, for one, can't wait to see what tomorrow's reading will bring. I hope you join me!

My prayer for all of us today is that we are able to lock God's words deep into our hearts. That we will be able to pull them out and use them in our lives, or in the lives of those in our world, in order to bring Glory to God. I pray that we are changed by our experience and that even though we are strangers in this land we are empowered by the Holy Spirit to make a difference in the lives around us so that they may know and love God too.

Until We Meet Again,

Drea

No comments:

Post a Comment