Sunday, September 12, 2010

1 Peter, Chapter 5

God and I are spending time together extra early today (it is 3:40 am as I write this). I am thankful. I am thankful for the opportunity that God gives me, everyday, to choose to spend time with Him. I am thankful that God values a relationship with me so much that He is willing to take the time to share His Word with me. I am thankful for the Holy Spirit that gives me knowledge and understanding. I am truly blessed.

And here we are on our last day in the book of 1 Peter. Let's dig right in and see how Peter closes up this short but powerful letter. Go ahead and open your Bible or head on over to BibleGateway.com

1 Peter, chapter 5:
I love how Peter throws a wide net here at the end. He is clearly talking to everyone, not just a select few, by addressing this final part of his letter to the elders AND the young men. He is covering all the bases by saying that each of us has an important part to play in this unfolding story.

To the leaders, the seasoned and steadfast members of the group, he is giving the charge to serve others, be an example and to do so with willing and humble hearts. For those of us that have been in a relationship with our LORD for quite some time now, secure in our faith and ready for more, this is a call to us! WE are the ones that God is asking to step-up and lead.

Some churches have a model of Elder Leadership and some are lead by a Senior Pastor and a Board of Directors. But Peter is not just talking about a governance system here. He is talking to anyone, in a place in their relationship with Jesus, that is ready to share their faith with those who are just beginning their walk.

And to the young men, those that are just stepping out in faith, Peter says "be submissive" or in other words, listen to, follow, be willing to learn from those that are more mature in their faith. Many times when we are new to a venture we will take one of two paths. We will either be quiet and sit back to observe and learn before we act, or we will jump in head first and try to prove that we are worthy to be a part of the experience. Peter is calling for the first of these options.

And to everyone he is saying, Be Humble.
The dictionary defines humble as: not proud or arrogant; modest; having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience; low in rank, importance, status, quality; courteously respectful.
Seems pretty clear to me, how we are to behave toward each other. In verse 6 Peter says "
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time." I think all to often we expect our 'reward' or our recognition for good deeds to be immediate. We like that pat on the back or that instant gratification for a job well done. But instead we see that if we are humble and follow God's authority that we may be lifted up, praised, in due time. Patience is required here.

And then in verses 7 through 9 we are reminded to cast all our anxiety on to God because he cares for us (good because I am tired of worrying about them), to be self-controlled and alert (this one takes some practice, for me), to avoid temptation and evil ways (again, practice), and to stand firm in our faith with our brothers in Christ who are suffering the same fate (it is comforting to know we are not alone). Now that is a rally cry if ever I heard one!

And our 'reward,' our recognition, given in due time, is that God himself will restore us. He will make us strong, firm and steadfast. Can you imagine?! To be made whole by the Creator of the universe! I, for one, want to live a life that is worthy of such a gift. A gift that can not be earned but a gift that is freely given.


Well I don't know about you but the past five days have been a time of growth and reflection for me. I feel closer to God and have a deeper understanding of what He desires my life to be. I am so honored to have been able to share this experience with you.

My prayer for today is that we are now a changed people. I pray that our lives today will be different in comparison to our lives just one week ago. I pray that we will go forward with faith, humility, purpose, and love to make a difference in the world around us. I pray that others will see a difference in us and that they will wonder what is the cause. I pray that they will have the courage to ask and we will have to courage to answer, and give all the Glory back to God!

Until We Meet Again,

Drea

No comments:

Post a Comment