Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Power of One

Last night I was able to show and share God's love in one of my favorite ways. The community where I live has joined together to provide a weekly supper for people in need. Some people are in need of a hot meal. Some people are in need of companionship. Some people are in need of doing something different with their life.

On Monday nights we come together to share a meal, fellowship, and Christ centered service. Various community organizations and businesses take turns providing the food and the volunteers each week. My church is part of this event every other month. It is truly the highlight of my week. It is a time when I can put aside everything else and spend a few hours loving on some people that really need it.

At the beginning of each Sunshine Supper the coordinator starts with a brief meeting for the volunteers and shares some statistics and an inspirational quote. They are always motivational and help us remember why we are there and what a difference we can make. Last night's quote was an especially good one. It was "The Power of One" poem.

As I looked around the dinning room I saw one life touching another life over and over again. The beauty of shared experiences and comfort that were able to happen because ONE person decided to take time out of their busy schedule to serve another human being. And the most wonderful thing was that each volunteer was not able to touch just one life but they actually made an impact on several lives over the course of the evening. One life touching another life became one life touching five or ten lives.

Last night was the fifth time our church has helped provide and serve the dinner and because of the poem that was shared I experienced it in a whole new way. I could see the words of that poem come to life before my eyes. I could see the power of God move through the lives of both the volunteers and the dinner guests. I was in awe of the sacrifice each volunteer made and the trust each dinner guest placed in those serving them. I was moved by the unity and harmony that was alive in that room. One small room, One simple meal, One quiet night.

I went online this morning to find the poem so I could share it with you. As I was searching I found that someone actually took the poem and turned it into a video. I am a visual learner and when I can see something it sticks with me even more. The power of last night's experience for me came from hearing the poem and seeing it lived out right before my eyes. Since you were not able to be there I want to give you a glimpse into The Power of One. Take a look:



My prayer for today is that you can feel God's presence in your life and because of that you are able to realize your power to affect the world around you. I pray that your life, and my life, will touch another life, which will touch another life, which will touch another life. I pray that you will be changed by the experience and you will see, know and feel the power of your impact on the world. I pray that as you serve others you will remember the power of God's work in your life and that you will be eternally thankful that He is with you, always.

Until We Meet Again,

Drea

No comments:

Post a Comment