Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Go Up One Block and Take a Left

How are you with directions? Are you a competent co-pilot or do you get lost easily? Do you give directions with pin-point details or general landmark references? What tools do you use; a map, internet directions, a GPS, celestial navigation?

Do you take directions well from others or do you prefer to find your own way? Are you a "get there by quickest route" or a "take scenic route" kind of person? Does it frustrate you when you run into a detour or do you go with the flow?

What about me? My hubby says I am a good co-pilot, I have a good sense of direction and I pay attention to my surroundings. I use multiple tools, never really trusting just one to be accurate, and I love the "scenic route." Detours and construction do frustrate me. I have to be honest though, I am not very good at taking directions from other people, I prefer to find my own way, or at least research my own way to get somewhere.

Driving is one thing, but what about life? How well do we accept or give directions when it comes to more substantial things like relationships, helping others, or finding our true calling? Do we use the same strategies as when we are driving or do we throw the atlas out the window and try to navigate life all on our own?

I certainly have had periods of my life when I was in the driver's seat, no one riding shot-gun and I had one headlight out. I thought I knew where I was going but I was only getting a part of the picture. I was not aware of the huge detour ahead as I was blissfully rolling on with the windows down and the music cranked up. Thinking back on those times, I am grateful to have survived the journey. I can not begin to count how many near-misses and close calls I had.

I have also had periods of my life where I was in the passenger seat, letting someone else take control. This is not a natural position for me, I usually have to be out-and-out asked to sit in the right hand seat, but once I am there I do enjoy the ride. As you can imagine, I am quite the vocal co-pilot and offer my suggestions and opinions often. But when I am confident with the driver's capabilities I am usually able to sit back and relax.

I wonder though, how is it all decided? These positions of giving and taking directions in our lives. I think by default I typically start out in the driver' seat until I get myself so lost that I have to pull over and ask for help. But I know that there are also times that I am asked to take the lead, I am the point car in a long caravan, and am expected to guide others to safety. So I wonder, how is it all decided?

The high-controller in me likes to think that I decide when I give and when I take directions, and to a degree I do have the choice. But I think if we were honest we would admit that we usually have to be hit on the head by the large green and white reflective highway sign before we realize that living life in the co-pilot's seat is what we are meant to do. From the right hand seat we can still help others in the back of the vehicle, we have a responsibility to communicate with the driver, we set the tone for the environment (volume of music, air temperature, calling out interesting views outside the windows). There is a lot of important work to be done from the shot-gun seat.

So why then, is it so hard for us to sit there? Why do we insist on grabbing onto the wheel and turning our car in the opposite direction of where we are supposed to be? And why does it take us so dang long to realize we are going the wrong way? And how do we "save-face" once we have to admit that we need to pull over and ask for directions?

I think the key to a successful journey is to look at life like one of those long road races. Each team has a group of drivers and co-pilots that trade off roles. They also have an amazing pit crew that helps them if they have trouble. Their game plan is not to win the race in a few hours, or even in one day. They realize the strategy that is needed in order to prevail in the long run. They understand the endurance and the stamina that it takes to complete the event. They have vehicles that are built for rugged terrain and harsh conditions. They wear special suits to protect themselves from the elements and they take breaks in order to rest and be refreshed for their next turn behind the wheel. It is a full team effort, no one person can win it on their own.

So who is on your team? Do you have a good mix of drivers and co-pilots and pit crew members (you, your spouse, your family, your friends, your co-workers, God)? Are you willing to pull over and ask for help, for directions, to get repairs, or to take a rest? When you are not in the driver's seat are you still paying attention to your surroundings, do you still care for the comfort of those in the vehicle with you? Are you preparing yourself for the detour you can not yet see ahead of you?

My prayer for today is that God works in our hearts to make us both good direction givers and takers. I pray that we slow down enough to hear His direction and then brave enough to follow it. I pray that as we share directions with others that we are respectful and considerate of their needs and the road they are on. I pray that we remember to get off the road, rest, and refuel so that once we get back on we are prepared to continue on this journey God has set us on.

Until We Meet Again,

Drea

No comments:

Post a Comment